I didn’t know that I was going to become so in love with Instagram as much as I am today. I wasn’t a fan before, but I’ve grown to love the platform now. So recently, as I wandered through the platform, going from one post to the other, a question crept into my mind.
I wondered if it was possible to search for another person’s tagged photos on Instagram. To satisfy my curiosity, I made some research to find out the answer to the question troubling my mind.
So can you search Instagram for someone else’s tagged photo? Yes, you can search for tagged photos of your friend or any other person on Instagram. You can do this in two different ways.
One way to search for the tagged photos is by using the Instagram search feature on the official Instagram app or Instagram.com in any desired web browser. Another way is to go through the person’s profile, but this will only work if the feature has not been blocked by the profile owner.
Instagram’s user interface may vary a little when viewing on a laptop compared to a mobile phone, but this is not a cause for alarm as this article will address both situations.
I’ll also talk about why you may be unable to view a person’s tagged photos, no matter which of the aforementioned methods you decide to use.
As earlier mentioned, you can search for tagged photos of your friend or just a random person on Instagram using two methods. I’ll elaborate on each of them shortly.
To use this method;
- Open the Instagram app installed on your mobile device or visit www.instagram.com and sign in.
- On the app, locate the Instagram search feature on the “explore” tab. Tap the magnifying glass icon in the bottom menu to access the search feature. A search box with the placeholder “search” appears at the top.
- Enter your search term in the search box. That is, enter the username of the person whose tagged photos you’d like to see. You can type in the search term with the hashtag symbol or not (as in #mybestfriend or mybestfriend). On the app, four tabs will appear when you do this.
Also, a list of top suggestions will appear from which you can choose your desired result. If you can’t find what you are looking for in the list, you can click on the Tags tab to filter the results that aren’t tags.
On www.instagram.com, the four search result tabs are missing and this could make it harder to filter results. Therefore, it is better to type in your search term with the hashtag symbol (as in #mybestfriend) and choose your desired result from the list of top suggestions that will appear.
- Upon tapping a result from the list of suggestions, a grid of photos and videos that have been tagged with that tag will be displayed for you. On the app, a selection of posts with the highest likes and comments (also known as top posts) displays in the default or Top tab. To view the recent photos and videos for that tag, switch to the Recent tab.
On Instagram.com, the top posts are displayed at the top (usually about the first nine photos or videos), and to view the recent posts, all you have to do is scroll past them.
To use this method;
- open the Instagram app installed on your mobile device or visit instagram.com and sign in.
- If the person whose tagged photos you’d like to see follows you on Instagram or you follow him or her, tap on the profile button on the explore tab. It’s a small circle icon in the bottom menu with your profile picture in it. This will take you to your profile page Then tap on the followers or following button on your profile page respectively.
Locate the search field at the top of the followers or following list (depends on which one you tapped in the previous step), then enter the username of the person whose tagged photos you’d like to view and tap on the result displayed in the drop-down menu.
- If the person is not your follower and neither do you follow him/her, locate the Instagram search feature on the “explore” tab. Tap the magnifying glass icon in the bottom menu to access the search feature. A search box with the placeholder “search” appears at the top.
On www.instagram.com, the Instagram search feature is at the top of the home page/home feed. The home feed is the page displayed as soon as you log into your Instagram account.
Enter the username of the person whose tagged photos you’d like to view and tap on the result displayed in the drop-down menu.
- The profile of the user will then be displayed for you. Tap on the tagged photo icon (an icon with the outline of a man in a square box) directly above the user’s third photo. This will display all the posts in which they have been tagged.
It is important to note that this method may not be effective if the user has used the “hide from profile” option to hide his or her tagged photos from the profile.
You may be unable to view a person’s tagged photos no matter how much you try or what method you employ. This can happen due to any of the following reasons:
- He or she has a private account: this means that the user has locked down his or her profile by setting his or her account to “private”. By doing so, no one can see his photos or videos unless he approves them. This is usually done by people who love their privacy and like to keep other people out of their business.
- He or she has untagged himself/herself from the photos: Instagram has made it possible to remove oneself from a post in which one was tagged. This can be done by simply clicking the three dots at the bottom right corner of the photo then clicking the “photo options” button. Afterward, one will click the “more options” button and lastly the “remove me from photo” option.
- You have been blocked from viewing his/her posts: the person whose tagged photos you want to see may have blocked you for one reason or the other. This will prevent you from viewing his or her tagged photos, especially through his profile. Unfortunately, Instagram does not notify users when they have been blocked by another user. You only realize this when you visit their profile and there are no posts there for you to view.
If for any reason you will like to prevent other people from viewing your tagged photos on Instagram, I’m happy to tell you that you have several ways to do that. You only need to decide which of the options I’ll be listing is best for you. Here goes👇
- Hide your tagged photos from your profile: this will prevent anybody looking through your profile from viewing your tagged photos. To do this, you should
- Tap the photo you intend to hide.
- Tap your username.
- Tap “Hide from My Profile” if you’re using an iPhone or tap next to “Hide my Profile” if you’re using an android.
- To hide multiple photos or videos
- Tap the icon or tap your profile picture in the bottom menu of the explore tab.
- Tap the Icon in the top right corner of your profile page then tap “Settings” at the bottom.
- Tap privacy and then tags.
- Tap Manually Approve Tags then tap Edit next to Tagged Posts.
- Select the photos you intend to hide from your profile and tap Hide.
- Tap Hide From Profile.
Note that hiding tagged photos from your profile does not remove you from the posts. This means that an Instagram user will be unable to view your tagged photos from your profile but can view them using the search method stated above.
- Remove yourself from tagged photos: when you remove yourself from tagged posts, you’re completely dissociating yourself from the photo. This means that no matter the method used, no Instagram user will see that you were initially tagged in the photo. To remove yourself from any photo in which you were tagged;
- Tap the photo from which you’d like to remove yourself.
- Tap your username
- Tap Remove Me From Post
- Tap Remove2. Block a specific user: if you’d like to hide your tagged photos from a specific follower or group of followers and not everybody, then this option is for you. All you have to do is block the user or users. To do this
- Go to your profile page and tap Followers.
- Enter the username in the search field and search.
- Tap the three dots (horizontal on iOS and vertical on android) next to their name.
- Tap Remove.
- Repeat the above steps for each person you’d like to block.
We all have interests and things we care about on Instagram, but sometimes it might be hard to keep abreast of all that’s happening on there. This is where following a tag comes in. When you follow a tag, it helps you keep up and stay connected with things that you care about. To follow any hashtag on Instagram:
- Tap any hashtag you want to follow (for example #writing)
- Tap Follow. Once this is done, you’ll see the photos and videos of the tag displayed in your feed.
You can always unfollow the tag whenever you feel like it. To unfollow a tag on Instagram:
- Tap the tag you’d like to unfollow.
- Tap Following.
- Tap Unfollow to confirm.
Sometimes, you may not want to post your photos for all to see. You may want to share some photos with specific friends only. The good news is that this is now possible with Instagram Direct. To use this Instagram private messaging feature, you should
- Open your Instagram app.
- Locate an icon in the top right corner that looks like a box, or some sort of filing cabinet drawer. Tap on it. This directs you to a new screen.
- This new screen is titled Direct. To open a new direct message, tap on the plus sign in the top right corner of the screen.
- Three options will appear at the bottom when you tap the plus sign. The top one Send Photo or Video lets you send photos and videos to a contact, the middle one Send Message lets you send messages with basic text, and the last one Cancel is for canceling. Tap on the Send Photo or Video option.
- Tap the photo that you want to send to your friend and then tap Next in the top right corner of the screen. You can use filters and effects to make the photo better or decide not to use any filter. Once you’re okay with the photo look, tap Next again.
- After that, you should decide who you’d like to send the photo to. Tap the text box with the word to on the left and type in the person’s username. There is also a list of contacts under the heading People to choose from. Once you’ve decided on the receiver, tap Send at the bottom of the screen.
The user will be notified of the message as soon as it is sent. You can send as many messages as you want in the privacy of direct messaging.