What is an Accidental Instagram Like Notification
Have you ever noticed that on Instagram whenever someone likes your post, you get a notification for this? So that means when you do the same on other people’s posts, they get the same notification right?
Now, what happens if you accidentally like a post you don’t want to, well that same Notification pops up and that’s what is popularly called an accidental Instagram like Notification.
Can an Accidental Instagram Like Notification be undone?
Well, the answer to your question is simply yes and no. Yes, you can undo an accidental Instagram-like notification, and no, you cannot undo an accidental Instagram-like notification. Sounds confusing?
Yes even we are a bit confused but if you keep reading the article would explain it all and clear your doubts. It may even save you from further embarrassing moments.
How does an Accidental Instagram Like Occur
Accidental Instagram Likes are more common than we may think and can be quite bothersome. Take these scenarios for instance;
So you have that ex-lover that you still think of from time to time and on a good day, you forget about him and drown your anguish in ice cream and movies but today is not a good day and you want to see how his life is moving on without you.
So you decide to stalk his Instagram page and scroll through his posts but then you accidentally like one of his posts as you’re scrolling through his page. You instantly freeze up and start screaming in your head what to do, what to do
Or maybe you have this cute guy your friend just introduced you to and you decide to stalk his page to see what he is like, there is no crime in this right, besides you aren’t stalking him, it is more like you are simply having a glimpse of his pictures which he put out for public consumption and approval, now you’re deeply vested in this search and on his 46th picture you try to zoom in to see something clearly but you forgot that double-tapping isn’t for zooming so instead of zooming, you liked his picture, oops.
You start breaking out into cold sweats and thinking of what to do while hoping he doesn’t think you are a weird person or maybe worse, a stalker.
In these scenarios we are all thinking the same thing, can you undo your accidental Instagram like so the notification doesn’t pop up and reveal you’re embarrassing stalkerish behavior, or would it be easier to hope the ground opens up and consumes you so you would not die of shame.
What Happens When An Accidental Instagram Like Occurs
When you accidentally like someone’s Instagram post, they receive a notification for it like we earlier stated, however this notification quickly pops-up and then disappears, so they’ll have to look through their notifications to find it.
It’s this theory that we’re going to be using to our advantage when we want to undo an accidental like notification.
Won’t Instagram Send a Notification if you unlike a post
No, they won’t. When you, unlike the same post, the like notification disappears from their notification list which is good news for us and one of the quickest ways to solve the mishap of an accidental Instagram like.
What Not To Do When You Accidentally Like an Instagram Post
Well, you have successfully liked that forbidden post, so before we tell you what else to do to rectify the situation, here are a few things you should not do;
- Panic. I know this might go against all your primal instincts, but it is best if you try not to panic. Panicking would do you no good as you actually need a calm mind to undo what you did and a calm mind is always best.
- Throw away your phone. Yes, this might sound ludicrous but it isn’t. Do not throw your phone, drop it on the ground or run away from it. If you do that and the phone spoils, you are doomed for sure because you would most likely not be able to undo what you did, so yes hold that phone in your hands as you calm down and think of what to do next.
- Call your friends. Calling your friends might seem like a good idea at the moment, but think about it do you want them to know of your stalker tendencies or the fact that you accidentally liked a photo, I mean who does that, I will tell you, only a weirdo does that so if you do not want them to use this one mistake to make fun of you for the rest of your life.
It’s best not to call them and try and solve this predicament you got yourself into on your own without their help. Besides no one needs to know of this unfortunate incident, it should be a secret you carry to your grave.
What To Do When An Accidental Instagram Like Notification Pops-up
Now that we have covered the issue of what not to do in this situation, what should you do to solve this unfortunate incident?
- Unlike the post immediately. I mean it is an obvious solution, right? The only issue with this particular solution is that the notification would still have popped up that you liked the post before it disappears, so just like that disappearing notification you could hope that the person wasn’t with their phone at the moment you liked and unliked the post right, I mean lady luck ought to shine upon you and forgive your tiny mistake. You could also be fortunate that the person has their notifications turned off, highly unlikely but let’s be hopeful. If you have a strong index of suspicion though that the person saw the notification then I guess you could either man up and face the fact that you liked their 50th post and admit your stalking.
They might even see it as a sign of admiration and not stalking who knows, but if you do not have that courage yet to own up to what you did, then what you have to do is in the next point.
- Like a recent post. Yes, you heard me right, like a recent post, I mean is it not better the notification shows you liked a recent post rather than a post from 3 years ago. At least this way you can claim ignorance to your stalking and simply say you saw the post on your feed and liked it.No harm no foul and no one would be the wiser because the notification only shows you liked a picture without stating what picture. They would have to click on the notification itself to find out what picture you clicked on and voila all they would see is that you liked a recent picture. However, if the person is an ex-lover, someone you do not follow or someone who likes their picture either from 1I years ago or now would be awkward, you can simply move over to the next point to see what to do next. Yes, we are committed to helping you hide every trace of your deeds.
- Edit your profile. This action is foolproof. I guarantee you a nearly 100% success rate if you do this, I mean there’s no way they would know it’s you. I mean bunny001 liked their picture from 3 years ago meanwhile your account is now a private account with the username bunny-senpai 001, you can easily claim full deniability and evidence doesn’t lie right? Alright, to edit your profile, simply follow these steps;
- First off, find your way to the settings option and switch your account from public to private, this way if they don’t follow you, they cant have access to your account.
- Then click on the profile icon. It is the 5th icon at the bottom right of your page,
- Once you do this, click on the edit profile button. Once you do this you should see your accounts details like username, bio, profile picture, and every other thing,
- This is the most important step and it is simply CHANGE EVERYTHING. Yes, you heard me right; change your name, bio, profile picture. Rebrand your account to something new to cover your tracks
This step might seem drastic, but we have even more drastic steps awaiting you, besides you need to ask yourself this, would you rather own up to your act or hide your tracks?
- Block the account. Yes, block the person, extreme right but what other choice do you have? Blocking the person would remove your accidental like but this option also removes previous likes and comments you might have made on their other posts, sorry we did not make the rules, Instagram did. And what happens if you unblock them in the future? Unfortunately, it all comes back, so if you block them you have to resolve to block them for life or you could simply unblock them when next you guys meet up and you’re sure they won’t be looking at their Instagram account, when you are sure they are not looking at their phone, quickly unblock them and unlike the post to solve all your worries.
Do not let anyone think you are taking things too far, they just do not understand that drastic situations call for drastic measures, besides it’s not like you’re lying to anyone, you simply just blocked them. Now if you think the planning and execution of this plan are too cumbersome, we have another solution listed below.
- Deactivate your account. This is a rather stressful solution and not one we readily advise you to engage in, but if you think the risk is worth it then you can go ahead and deactivate your account, however, you can only deactivate your account from a browser version on your desktop or mobile device, yes, you can’t deactivate your account from the app on your mobile device.
Sorry, you see why we think it’s too much hassle for what you intend to do, any of the earlier stated methods would be preferable to do this and maybe this is just our opinion but is an accidental like really worth deactivating your account over? We have one other solution for you to try out though if the earlier means aren’t really helpful.
- Delete everything. This is the most extreme measure we have proffered throughout this article but it is also the most foolproof method we could come up with. It has a 100% success rate and is guaranteed to get the job done. It simply involves un-liking the post and then deleting everything.
Yes, you heard right, delete everything, from your posts to your account, you could even uninstall the app for good measure and then delete the phone as well by dumping it in a bowl of salty water, no amount of rice would be able to save it after that.
Once you delete everything you can now crawl under your bed and await the ground to open up and swallow you and if it decides you’re not worthy enough to be swallowed you can easily live your life as a recluse forever, cut off from people and civilization.
Yes, we know how this sounds, extremely excessive and unnecessary for just liking a post and you could be right, so we have one final piece of advice to give you on how to undo an accidental photo like if you would still be interested in hearing us out.
- Own up to your actions. Not what you were expecting I suppose, but it does seem the most mature advice we have given throughout this article. I mean, if you think about it people make mistakes, so why not own up to your mistake and move on. Sure, it might be embarrassing initially, but no one has ever died from embarrassment, nor would the feeling last forever, it would pass after a while beside you could think about it from this angle if the person put their post online then they want people to see the post and you liking an old post may be the ultimate form of expressing your appreciation because you took out the time to scan through their media to look for an old post you liked and connected with to like and appreciate.So own your actions because it might just be the start of a beautiful friendship that could lead to many beautiful moments and memories. So before you hurry to unlike that post you accidentally liked, think things through and decide on what you wish to do.
P.S. I would probably unlike and delete my account immediately but then this is just me being me.
Yes, we know it can be quite embarrassing to accidentally like a photo and worse still to be caught but at least now we have been able to help you with the dos and don’ts.
From not smashing your device and going into full panic mode to being calm and collected to act accordingly and maybe to finally just taking responsibility for your action, whatever way you choose to handle it, I hope this article proves a useful guide to help with that.