Instagram is meant for sharing photos with your family and friends and is rated as one of the top social media platforms globally. Anyone on Instagram can choose to upload a story, which could be a series of photos or videos, so other Instagram users following you can view them.
Although most people are on Instagram, there are times when you simply want to take a break from social media platforms, and one of the best ways to do this is by deactivating your Instagram account.
There are many varying reasons why people could choose to deactivate their Instagram account; it could be due to some privacy concerns, cyber-bullying, which has become popular over the years, or simply a need to take a needed break from the social media world.
Whatever your reasons might be, Instagram doesn’t stop you if you no longer want an active account and would like your account to be temporarily deactivated till you’re ready again to jump back into the Instagram scene.
This article will teach you everything you really need to learn about deactivating your Instagram account and how to reactivate it when you want.
How To Deactivate Your Instagram Account in 2021
It is quite imperative to point out to you that when you deactivate your account, it doesn’t mean your account has been deleted from the Instagram server. It is just temporarily disabled, and although you still have an Instagram profile, it will no longer be visible to Instagram users.
Worth pointing out is the fact that you can only deactivate your Instagram account once a week. Below is a step-by-step guide to deactivate your account on Instagram successfully.
- To get started, you will need to visit the official Instagram site on your mobile device or your PC as there is no option to temporarily disable your account on the Instagram app. This option can only be accessed on the official Instagram website.
- When the website loads, log into your account with your username and password. You can also decide to log in with your Facebook if you have previously linked your Facebook account with your Instagram account.
- Once you’ve successfully logged in, look to the top right-hand of the page and click on your name, which would be provided there.
- Click on the ‘edit profile’ option that appears amongst the options in the dropdown menu that follows.
- A list of options would be provided under the Edit profile tab; click on ‘temporarily disable my account’; you can find this link at the bottom of the screen.
- After clicking this option, Instagram will request you to provide a reason why you would like to disable your account. A list of options would be provided for you to choose from, and if you have a different reason from those provided, you can simply choose others.
- Once you’ve provided your reason, you will be required by Instagram to reenter your password to your Instagram account, do this and tap on the ‘temporarily disable account’ button to continue.
- Instagram will process your request, and from that moment, your Instagram account will be disabled. Your profile will disappear from the Instagram server so you can take a break from the scene, and when you’re ready, you can simply activate your account once more and start sharing photos and videos with followers.
How to Reactivate an Instagram Account in 2021
Once you’ve taken a needed break from Instagram and you’re ready to come back on Instagram, it’s not that difficult to reactivate your Instagram account.
You can only reactivate your Instagram account after two days of deactivating the account because Instagram takes about 24 hours to successfully deactivate the account. If you change your mind immediately and want to reactivate your account, you will come across an error message.
Also, before you try reactivating your account, ensure that the account is not permanently deleted and is just disabled. You must also reactivate a deactivated account within thirty days of deactivating the account.
Instagram automatically considers such an account invalid and wipes it off the server, which would make you lose all photos and information.
How do you reactivate an account previously deactivated? It’s simple, log back into the Instagram website with your Instagram account detail. The account details must be the same you used when deactivating the account, or the whole process will not be successful.
Once you have successfully logged into your Instagram account, the account is automatically reactivated, and your profile is now visible to other Instagram users.
This process works for Android and iPhone Users. However, it is really important to note that you can only deactivate your account once a week with Instagram, so don’t change your mind so fast once again.
How To Permanently Delete an Instagram Account on Android in 2021
To avoid the option of deactivating your account, you can simply upgrade your privacy settings or block out some people if you’re deactivating because of cyberbullying or people.
However, there are certain times when you don’t want the account anymore, and in cases like that, you’re not deactivating your account but permanently deleting the Instagram account.
If you’re looking to quickly delete your Instagram account, note that there is no way to sign in to the account again with your username or password once the deed is done.
Permanently deleted accounts cannot be reactivated and are gone for good. However, if that is your decision, below is a guide on how to permanently delete an Instagram account in 2021.
- First, you will need to log into the Instagram official website on your Android device or iOS device. This is because you cannot simply delete your Instagram account from the Instagram app. You have to carry out the action from the official website.
- Log into your Instagram account with your account credentials or log in using your Facebook.
- After logging in, click on the ‘delete your Instagram’ tab at the end of the page.
- It will redirect you immediately to a new page, requesting you for a reason why you want to delete your Instagram account. A list of reasons will be provided right next to the question, and you can either choose from the options provided if they match with your reason or click on ‘nothing,’ which is usually the first option provided on the page.
- Once you pick any of the reasons, Instagram then presents you with articles that provide solutions to the reason why you might be deleting your Instagram account. These articles help tackle whatever problem you stated as the reason you might be deleting your account to save you the stress of deleting the Instagram account.
- However, you can choose to bypass these articles and rather click on continue to proceed with the process of deleting your Instagram account.
- You will be required to reenter your Instagram account password to proceed and once you do, simply click on ‘permanently delete my account.’
- This confirms your decision, and your account will be permanently deleted from the Instagram server.
After deleting your Instagram account, the username you previously used becomes invalid, and you can no longer sign up for Instagram with the same username.
Photos and videos previously uploaded on the Instagram account will also be deleted. The followers’ list will also be wiped, and there is no option to reactivate the account ever again.
Instagram has noted that it might take up to thirty days for the account deletion request to be accepted and for your information to be wiped away.
Instagram has however noted that copies of your information will be stored in backup storage for 90 days after the account deletion request. The platform uses this backup storage in case of a software error or data loss. It also comes in handy with legal issues and also when the Instagram terms have been violated.
Will My Instagram Account be Deleted If I Deactivate it
Having doubts and questions is a normal thing, especially when it is related to deactivating your Instagram account or permanently deleting it. There are common rumors about an Instagram account getting deleted when it is deactivated by the user, and this has made many people wonder if there is a difference between the two.
However, your Instagram account can be deleted by Instagram only if the user tries to reactivate the Instagram account using a different IP address or from a different country.
For security purposes, Instagram automatically deletes a deactivated Instagram account if someone tries to reactivate the account from a different location.
The Instagram security algorithm takes note of the action and will delete the account to protect your information from hackers and perceived intruders. Another possible reason why Instagram will delete your deactivated account is if you try to activate the account using the wrong password.
After multiple password attempts, Instagram might delete your account, perceiving a threat to your data.
How to Delete an Instagram Account on Computer in 2021
If you want to delete your Instagram account from your PC, it is quite simple and straightforward. The process is the same as deleting your Instagram account on your smartphone.
This is because there is only one process to delete your Instagram account with Instagram; the app doesn’t offer an option to delete the account. You can easily carry out the action either on the Google Chrome browser or on your Safari browser.
Simply visit the Instagram official site on your browser and enter your username and password to log in. Once you successfully log in to Instagram, click on the delete Instagram account page and provide Instagram with a reason why you would like to delete your Instagram account, or simply choose an option from the list provided right beside the question.
Provide your Instagram password once again and then click on ‘permanently delete my account’ to complete the process.
Activating and re-activating your Instagram account in 2021 is pretty easy if you follow the prompt provided above. If you’re also looking to permanently delete your Instagram account, we’ve stated the process to successfully achieve that on your mobile devices and on your PC.
Note that permanently deleting your account is not reversible and signing up with that particular username again is not feasible in the future. If you change your mind while deleting your account, you can easily switch to the deactivation page on the Instagram site and only temporarily deactivate the account.
Instagram has put in measures, however, to reduce the number of people who delete their accounts regularly, and this includes the restrict option you can use on those cyberbullying you.
This option prevents people from posting and passing abusive comments on your posts. You can also update your privacy options to keep out some people or make your account and posts visible to a select number of people.
We hope you found this article helpful; share your comments with us in the comment section below.
How long can one deactivate an Instagram Account?
There is no set period as to the time limit an account can stay deactivated, but it is advised that you don’t let your account stay deactivated for more than 30 days.
If you deactivate your account for quite a long time, you stand the risk of having your account permanently deleted by Instagram.
Can I delete my second Instagram Account?
You can easily delete your second Instagram account by following the same process stated for deleting an Instagram account above for mobile devices and PC.
There is no stated limit for just how many Instagram accounts you can delete on the Instagram site as long as you have your Instagram account credentials right.
Will Instagram delete my account after thirty days
Yes, your account stands a risk of being permanently deleted by Instagram after thirty days of being deactivated.
However, if you try to use a different IP to update your Instagram account or try using the wrong password multiple times, Instagram could delete your account before thirty days.
What happens when I delete my Instagram account permanently
When you choose to delete your account permanently, all your data will be wiped off the Instagram server, and that includes your followers’ list, posts, comments, profile, and likes.