Instagram lets people add story highlights to their profile. Story highlights are a collection of stories that people have uploaded in the past on their Instagram profile. They are basically the Instagram stories that people choose to show on their profile permanently.
Once a story has been added to highlight, it would be visible even after twenty-four hours, so it is an excellent way to keep your best stories running.
This feature actually makes your Instagram profile look really attractive because it allows your followers have another view into your mind.
The format of posting your highlights is not necessarily as strict as regular posts on Instagram. You do not have to follow any format or posting scheme. Highlights are typically a more carefree environment that allows users just to be themselves.
Once you open a highlight, you can decide to watch and navigate it like a typical story, and the only difference is that you would not be able to see the list of people that have viewed your Highlight.
As soon as the Story you added to your Highlight has run for twenty-four hours, the list of viewers would be gone, and all that would be left would be the view count.
Instagram highlights actually have a limit for the number of photos or videos you can post. The maximum number of photos and videos per Highlight is one hundred.
You can actually create as many highlights as you want. If the highlights become too much to fit your screen, you would have to flip through them by scrolling right or left.
You could consider the Instagram Highlight features a very simple one at the basics, but then putting the feature to use could be very confusing.
There are several features that have been incorporated into Instagram Highlights that could actually make it a very complex tool to use.
For instance, there is a possibility you might have issues with figuring out how you can add custom covers or how you can delete the highlights you no longer need.
Typically if you want to create an Instagram Highlight, you would need to either create it from your current Story or access your story archive.
For you to be able to access your story archive, you would need to ensure the archive feature is on. Typically, the archive feature would be enabled by default, but if you want to be really sure it is on, you can check by;
- You are clicking on the menu icon in the top right-hand corner of your profile.
- Then go to Settings.
- Then go to Privacy and Security.
- Then go to Story Controls.
- You can then scroll down to “Save to Archive,” then switch the toggle on.
Once you are sure your story archive is on, you can then begin to create your first Highlight. This is how you can make your first Highlight if you want to add your current Story;
- First, you would open your Instagram story.
- Then you can click on the Highlight icon that would be at the bottom.
- You can click on New that would be found in the Add to Highlights pop-up.
- You can enter any name you want for the Highlight.
- You can decide to edit the cover of your Highlight.
- Click Add, then click Done.
But what if you do not want to post to your Story and you still want to add to your Instagram Highlight? You might be wondering if this is even possible. Well, it is kind of possible, but to do that, you would have to use some tricks to get your desired results.
So now the question is, how can you add to Instagram highlights without posting on Story? The first thing you would need to understand is that there is absolutely no way to post pictures or videos directly from your gallery or camera into your highlights.
This is because Instagram would only allow a highlight to be shared based on what has already been posted on your status and actually left for a complete twenty-four hours.
That is another crux if you do not leave your Story for twenty-four hours, you would not be able to add it to your Instagram Highlight.
An efficient way that you could actually use is if you blocked all your followers from seeing your Story, then you can even upload the Story that you want to add to your Instagram Highlights.
You would need to wait for twenty-four hours, and then you can add it to your Highlights and unblock all your followers from seeing your Story.
You can also switch to a private Instagram account. The benefit of doing this is that it would stop users that are not following you from viewing your Story immediately.
You must realize that if your account is public when you upload your Story, even if you have blocked all your followers from viewing your Story, anyone that is not following you can still view your Story.
If you want to block everyone from seeing your Story, you have to:
- Open your Instagram settings.
- Then click on the story controls.
- Then you should click on zero people.
Then you need to manually select all your followers to prevent them from your seeing your Story. If you have a lot of followers, then this process might actually take a long time to complete.
Once you have blocked everyone from seeing your Story, you can then upload the Story from your gallery and then leave it for twenty-four hours. You can also do this for a live story and, no one would be able to view the Story.
After you have uploaded your Story on Instagram, you have to click on the highlight button at the bottom and then choose the Highlight you want it in.
Then you can go back to your Instagram story control and unblock all those you had previously blocked. Once you have uploaded your Story as a highlight everyone, would be able to view it.
How You Can Add Instagram Highlights Cover Without Adding To Story
It is actually not compulsory for your highlights to have covers but, it is very easy to add if you want them to have covers. You also do not have to add them to your stories before you can change your covers.
You can always add pictures directly from your phone’s gallery and use them to do your highlight cover.
If you want to add a cover, you can;
- First, go to your Instagram profile screen.
- Then hold down the Highlight whose cover picture you wish to change.
- Through the pop-up menu, you have to choose Edit Highlight.
- On the Edit screen, you have to click on the Edit cover option.
- If you want to use an already existing Highlight as the cover photo, you have to go to that particular image or video.
- However, if the picture or video you want to upload is from your gallery, you have to click on the small gallery icon that is at the left of the image thumbnails.
- Choose the image you want and then click Next.
- Adjust the image you selected to fit the circle, then click done.
- You will then be taken to the Edit screen.
- Then click on the Done option.
Note: You can always create custom covers for your highlights. You can use any graphic design tool to make your creative graphics.
The Benefits of Using Instagram Highlights on Your Profile
Instagram highlights really help people to know what your Instagram profile is all about. The option works best for self-promotion, but the most apparent benefit of highlights on Instagram is when you use it to promote your brand and products.
The Highlights section has the ability to draw more attention to whatever your brand is offering or selling. This way, everyone can quickly check out what you have to offer.
There is also a way to add a link to your website, which would help you to drive traffic from Instagram to your brand’s site.
Highlights look really cool, and they are actually very easy to organize. There is also room for you to fine-tune the offers you have based on the feedback of your followers and customers. You must make sure you update your brand’s highlights regularly.
Your highlights would always be a terrific way of passing your message across to the right people.
You can use the highlights to inform your followers about an event or promotion, and then ensure you give them all the details about the offers and potential discounts, the giveaways they might win, and a lot of other enticing things.
You have to learn to be careful when choosing the highlights you want to post. It is very easy to pick a highlight to post, but knowing the right one to pick is slightly tricky.
You must make sure the moments you choose to appear on your status genuinely represent you and what you stand for.
How Do You Delete Your Instagram Story From Your Archive
If you thought your Instagram Stories completely vanish after their 24-hours were up, think again. After a post vanishes from your Story, Instagram puts it in a separate section of your profile with your several Archived Stories, and only you can access it.
But if this section makes you remember unwanted memories or reminders of bad haircuts and so on, it would be helpful to know how to get rid of an Instagram story from the Archive.
Sometimes it justs feels more comfortable to know you have deleted a particular memory from everywhere possible, and that also includes your story archives.
Lucky for you, the Instagram help page makes it extremely easy to get rid of Archived Stories you’d rather never see again.
Here’s How to Delete a Story from Your Stories Archive:
First and foremost, open up the Instagram app on your iPhone or Android phone.
1. Then click your profile picture at the bottom right, which will take you to your profile.
2. Once you’ve found it, you then select the three-dot more either on iPhone or more on Android.
3. Tap Archive.
4. Then select the Story you want to delete.
5. Tap on either (iPhone) or (Android).
6. Tap delete, then tap delete again for confirmation.
Recall that when a story is deleted from your Archive, it will also be removed from every other place you have shared it on Instagram.
And even when deleting a Story from Live, it could still leave you a copy there; deleting from your Story Archive would mean it’s gone completely. All other copies of the Story will be removed from Instagram permanently.
Delete An Instagram Story From Highlights
Instagram Highlights is a way of keeping a Story around for more than 24 hours. It is an endless list of Stories that you can check through your Instagram profile. If you saved the Story as a Highlight, you might need to delete it from there, too as well.
Instagram Stories is an easy way of sharing moments from your life without having to keep them on your feed.
Instagram Stories vanishes after 24 hours, but the Highlights can still be seen on your account profile. Instagram Highlights are a fun way to make an excellent first impression. Any Instagram user can create a post and manually save it as a Highlight.
There are two different ways you can create an Instagram story Highlight.
If you have already made an Instagram Highlight and you now want to edit or delete a highlight on Instagram, then you are in the right place. This is a guide to follow to edit or delete a highlight on Instagram.
How to Edit or Delete Instagram Highlight
- Step 1: Launch the Instagram app present on your device, either iPhone or Android.
- Step 2: Go to your profile.
- Step 3: Below are Stories Highlights; find the exact Story you want to delete, then tap and hold.
To then get rid of the particular Story from your Stories Highlights, click Delete Highlight. If you want to add more photos or videos to your Story, then tap Edit Highlight.
After following the steps, you can edit or delete the Instagram highlight. Here is a step-by-step guide you can follow to edit or delete a photo or video from a highlight.
How To Edit or Delete a Photo or Video from a Highlight
- Step 1: Open the Instagram app on your device, either iPhone or Android
- Step 2: Open your story highlight and select the photo or video you want to remove.
- Step 3: Select more icons (iPhone and Android) in the photo or video’s bottom right.
- Step 4: Select Remove from Highlight or tap Edit Highlight to add more photos or videos to your Story.
Following the above steps, you can simply edit or delete a photo or video from a highlight.
You can make use of Instagram Highlights to educate people on previous activities posted in the stories. The additional Highlight feature offers new opportunities for brands to promote their content and attract new customers.
You can also choose the Highlight and use the three dots more icon to access the delete command as above too.
Examples of Typical Content That Your Highlight Can Contain:
- It can contain behind-the-scenes content of the brand.
- It can also contain customer reviews or testimonials.
- It can contain the partnerships and collaborations the brand has worked with.
- It can contain your affiliate and ad partners.
- You can upload your brand’s essential campaigns as a highlight.
- You can upload important events that your brand participated in or was invited to.
- You can post your product lines or your collections on your Highlight.
- You can post comprehensive tutorials or How-To’s for your followers, especially if you are in the fashion or cooking industry.
- Your Highlight can also contain product reviews.
- It can contain frequently asked questions.
- You can post news relating to your industry of focus.
- You can make stories travel diary.
- You can post timely offers or sales.
How Can You Choose Your Highlights Strategically?
There are some factors you have to consider when you try to select your highlights, and some of them are;
- You have to know your overall business goal: As a business or company, you must be able to state with full confidence what you regard as your main aim on Instagram.
You must be able to decide if it just to generate more leads, or get more sales, or even to push the values of your brand forward.
You must not make the mistake that a lot of other brands make by just posting anything they deem fit in their highlight section because they feel the pressure to pin something the same way fellow brands have posted.
You must always make sure your highlights go along with the goal and visions of your brand.
- Ensure that your Instagram highlights are really descriptive: When you have finally decided what exactly it is you want to highlight, you must ensure your highlights are descriptive enough for other people to understand and fully comprehend what they are about.
Anytime you want to create a highlight, Instagram would always ask you to add a description to it. Naturally, you are allowed to use anything you want as a description, but it would look weird if there is no form of conformity or consistency.
Whether it is the fonts, spacing, emojis, or any other thing, you just have to ensure you stay consistent and describe all your highlights in the same style.
- Stay on your brand’s aesthetics: Another method of remaining visually consistent is by creating cover photos that reflect and emphasize your brand’s vibe.
If you take time to check out really successful pages of major brands, you would see that they always choose to stick to the same style, color palette, and even design in their Instagram Highlights.