In the technologically advancing age of social media, people are enjoying the social platform but the illegal activities are also ever-increasing due to the freedom of hiding behind a screen. The usage of social media in the negative activities are on its hike nowadays.
One of the famous hunting ground for these crimes is Instagram which enables anyone to watch and post their activities. One of the most feared poachers of this social platform is ghost followers.
Ghost followers, also known as ghosts and ghost accounts or lurking accounts, are that user on social media platforms who continue to exist as inactive or do not involve inactivity. They register on platforms such as Twitter and Instagram. The active members are followed by these, though they do not take part in liking, commenting, posting and messaging. The people or social bots are responsible for the making of these accounts.
Identifying ghost followers
User shouldn’t blame themselves for the fake followers of they haven’t bought them. Some of them are real followers who got sick of using Instagram and taken a break from using it readily. To verify, the user can see if their followers have complete information or not! When was the last time they were online? in this way, the user will find out if a specific follower is for real or not. One can easily find them by checking their profile:
- Check if they have 0 followers
- If they have no posts
- The profile picture is not attached
- Followings count is more than followers count
- In the last 30 or 60 days, they haven’t posted anything
- Freaky or abnormal profile name
Negative effects of ghost followers
Only high numbers of follower are not enough for serious marketers. For instance, the influencers on Instagram need to drive engagement through their content to attract advertisers. Engagement is foremost, and the celebrities with high follower count trends, so that create their brand value. The clients pay in bulk to the agencies and consultants for more than just an increase in follower counts
The ghost followers are a major hindrance to the metrics rates such as engagement or engagement rate which are used by social media and content marketing professionals. For them, the ghost followers are the major restriction to success.
Should an Instagram user afraid of ghost followers?
The main issue is not ghosting followers for some users. Though the ghost followers don’t engage with users still they are considered as followers and contained in users follower count. Some of the users just want their follower count to be as massive as possible. Ghost followers are perfectly ok with this case and even desired by the users.
Ways to get rid of ghost followers on Instagram?
Removal of ghost followers needs accessing the account and directly blocking it, as per the norms from 2014. By this, the connection between the ghost follower and the following account is being removed at a time. The avoidance of ghosts can be done by marking an account private, requiring permission to be granted for the future followers which is a safe measure to remain credible.
One more example of another social site, they are continuously trying to delete the phony records who wrecked the true experience of real social media users. The main objectives of that social media platform to prevent it from cyberbullying, trolling, and most priority is to control the political talk or to restrict the con influencer advertisers into grabbing over cash to fake web-enabled social networking critiques.
There are two scenarios lying to remove the ghost followers, one in which, having small numbers followers then the user can do it by themselves only and remove them from followers list by using new feature if Instagram. But in case of massive numbers of followers, the user has to take help from one of the Instagram cleaner app which comes handy and easy to use. Below mentioned are some of the examples of app-based removal of ghost followers-:
How to remove ghost followers?
Some of the applications can be used for detecting inactive followers on user Instagram profile and one can instantly unfollow them in a single tap. User-friendly process of removing is given ultimate importance from these applications. The user can only get crude information about those and can do all the work themselves. For that these steps which are given below, should be followed-:
- Downloading and installing the app from the application store is the foremost work. User should give importance to the reviews of the app before downloading them, as numerous applications are not as productive as they seem.
- Launching the application and logging in with the Instagram username and password.
- Tracing out the inactive followers who are inactive for a specific period of time is done by the applications. The user can also choose the inactive time period as it is the additional feature provided by the application. This comes very handily and helpful for the user.
- User can also view the current status of inactive follower which are idle for the given period of time, which helps the user to identify the realness of that follower.
- The applications show the followers who were inactive for the given specified period. User can select them in once and tap on unfollow. They will be unfollowed instantly. This will be the end result of the processes which are used for removing those ghost followers.
There is one application which is a multi-function app that enables a user to analyze their complete Instagram account and gives details of all their unfollowers, all their ghost followers, all mutual followers and also their recent unfollowers, etc.
These applications can help the user to go through their profile in detail and get to know, the ghost follower which are present there. Below mentioned are some of the easy steps which can help a lot.
- Firstly user has to download & install the app on your device from the various app store
- Launching the app and logging in with the Instagram account credentials is the successive step.
- ‘Ghost Followers’ can be chosen while navigating through the interface of the app. By this whistleblowing, you will get a list of all foul followers to whom you have not followed.
- User can follow directly or block any ghost’s by going through the profile of them and keep a clean slate of your Instagram handle.
For throwing out a ghost follower, Instagram has recently added a feature that enables the user to direct the ghost users from their account without blocking them. This is an innovative measure taken by Instagram which is quite appreciable. Moreover keeping the procedure simple is the added benefit given to the user by Instagram.
These steps should be followed to use this feature-:
- Go to your profile page
- Click on your follower’s tab
- find the ghost ones by checking your follower’s list
- Click on the tab where there are three vertical dots on the right end of the ghost follower name.
- Then a prompt to remove him/her from your followers will pop up
- Tap on yes and it is done
- Those ghost followers will not be present there any longer.
Instagram keeps on their efforts to hunt down the ghost followers, though they are not using that term directly. As that will also affect the number of followers which is the crude engagement rate of Instagram. That rate defines a lot of the popularity of the social site. The platform has hunted the followers who are fake, rest of the inactive accounts to make Instagram credible and clear of illegal usage which is quite commendable. It shows the level of branding and attachment Instagram wants to generate among their users.
Due to this, Instagram seems to continue to remove fake or inactive accounts. Ultimately buying of ghost followers is then totally off the grid, because they may be hunted by Instagram anyway.
Ultimately, it is on the sole decision of the user to remove ghost followers from their user handle. But the site can also make the user to deliberately remove them as they create a lot of difficulties for site and users as well. Moreover, the credibility of social sites are getting down due to the above reason and it is not good for those sites. As their popularity and engagement rate totally depends on the ease of use and the real-time experience of the users.
With the whistleblowing of data security and data mining, users, as well as the handlers, are quite attentive towards this problem. The greed of becoming popular and having numerous follower enables the users to get into these type of foul play. Somehow it helps them for a brief time, but when the problem of trolling, phishing and hacking comes, this same way out acts as an unending loop.
As social platform is becoming vulnerable in recent times, users should give great importance to transparency and truthfulness. So beware to enter in this maze of pseudo popularity and short interval fame as it doesn’t last long.