Social media is a computer-based technology that facilitates the exchange of ideas and information through the building of virtual connections and communities. It is internet-based and provides fast electronic communication of content.
Instagram is one of the social media platforms that dwell solely on photos and videos that you post, and it allows you to exchange them. You can also explore, take pictures, also edit by using any filter of your choice and publish visual content for your user friend to interact by commenting, sharing, and likes.
Almost everyone has been in this situation, whereby you panic when you post a comment on Instagram that you did not actually want to post. You went back to check and noticed you said something that was not making sense, or you made a typographical error.
Nothing feels so embarrassing like a typographical error on social media. Mistakenly, if you have typed something, you would better withdraw back, or you want to get rid of another person’s comment left on the post.
This article contains all you need to know on how to delete a comment.
We all make mistakes, and when we realize, we will obviously want to get to know how to delete a comment on Instagram. Almost all the time, we might make mistakes, and it is not good enough to ask for people’s opinion, for some of the reasons:
First, there is this belief that everyone should practically know how to do everything on their social media, so if you seek help by asking, you might look like a dumb person.
Second, this is probably a comment you do not want to attract anybody’s attention to, even that of your friends, that you would get to help you.
If you go on Instagram, you will realize there are a lot of people commenting on posts and live videos. Instagram is an app that focuses on a few features and does them extremely well.
The major thing people do on the app is to post photos, videos, and comment on other people’s own as well. Thus, it is necessary to know how to delete comments on your post and on IG live.
To post a comment on Instagram, you always click on the comment button under the image or video you want to comment on. This will bring up a text dialogue to type whatever you wish to type about the post. Recall, you can post not only text but also emojis.
- If you tried to delete a message, and you still get an error message which says it cannot be deleted, and yet you are stuck with it. If you get a message that says a particular comment cannot be deleted, it is because that particular comment has been deleted in the system, but it is still showing. Obviously, you cannot delete another person’s comment, but you can definitely delete it if it is your comment. You may realize that the comment is still showing because there was a problem with caching. This means the issue might be coming from you but not anyone else; it might not be appearing on other people’s own. Just try and empty your cache by logging out completely, and you open it after some while to see if it is still showing.
- If you are using a downloaded emoji keyboard and it is not letting you put emoji on Instagram. You can make use of emojis that are configured with iPhone or android to fill in your comment. Notwithstanding, if you got a third-party app, you might need to test whether the emoji app will definitely allow you to comment on Instagram. Some will allow you, and some will not, given the sheer number of emoji keyboard app outside.
Instagram Commenting Guidelines
Here are guidelines for commenting, so whatever you have to type should be in these guidelines. An error message will occur from the app if you fail to follow the guidelines beneath.
- On your comment, the highest number of “@” tags you can make use of is 5, so if you are using the” @” to tag your friends, recall that only five are available.
- Have you come across anyone with a ton of hashtags on every single post? Instagram has minimized the number of hashtags you can use, keeping the hashtag below 30 for a particular post. You can as well just comment with more hashtags if it is necessary, but you may not use more than 30 to make your point.
- You are restricted to only different comments. Therefore, if you comment more than once on the exact thing, you will be blocked. Most times, you can get away with numbers of repeated comments if you enter them both very fast, but it should catch the 3rd repeated comment and block it.
- Finally, you will realize there are a lot of hate words, discrimination, profanity, and so on that will be blocked on Instagram. They do not want this on their platform and will do their best to stop inappropriate behavior. At that, people can report comments if they feel they are in violation of the guidelines.
You can also Report Instagram Comment:
If you noticed a comment on Instagram that is less than appealing, you might wish to report it for abuse or violation of Instagram rules.
At this point, you can simply delete and report the abuse of any comment. It is not necessary that it has to be your own comment to do this action. However, if you are just attempting to delete it, you will be restricted to only what you type.
- First and foremost, open the Instagram app on your iPhone or Android.
- Go down to the photo that has the comment you want to report.
- You will find a small comment button beneath the post, be it photo or video, click on it.
- After that, scroll up till you find the comment you want to report.
- Swipe left on the comment and click on the menu arrow.
- After that, you would choose to report the comment.
- When you decide to report a particular comment, you can choose whether it is “Spam or Scam” or “Abusive Content” to give Instagram a better understanding of why you think it to be in violation.
You just upload a photo or video, and some spammer is exchanging links on a nice image of yours. You will get knowledge on how to get rid of the spam to keep your photostream nice and tidy.
Many times you post a comment and then realize that something’s wrong with it. Misspelling a word, and you tag the wrong person, or even posting it on the wrong post. And sometimes you want to remove a rude comment that someone drops under your photo.
When exchanging photos on Instagram, you may get comments you don’t like definitely, or even spam messages (don’t click on their links!).
Anytime you just want to remove a comment you don’t like, or you want to prevent a spammer from also spamming your followers, Instagram will let you delete and report individual comments.
How to Remove Comment on Instagram
The many ways to remove your comment on Instagram, depending on whatever you are using android, PC, or Mac.
And also, recall that you can only do this to your own comment that you have typed and posted yourself. It is not possible for you to remove another person’s comment beyond reporting it as abuse.
Meaning you can’t delete comments from another person’s post that doesn’t belong to you.
So if you posted a comment and you discover a mistake after some while and want to get rid of it, or another person left a comment you want to get rid of on your post. It is very easy to delete comments on Instagram.
Here are the steps to take;
- First and foremost, open the Instagram app on your device, log in if you have not done that, and look for the post with the comment you want to delete.
- Then you go on to the next stage, press and hold on the comment you want to get rid of, and then click on the report or the delete button at the top right corner of your device. As this action is going on, your own comment will only display the delete option.
- People that use iPhone should clear leftover comments they wish to delete to isolate them, and the android user should click and press down the comment to select it.
- If you want to report the comment, a pop-up message will show that asks if it is spam or scam or contains abusive language.
- Click on the trash can button to delete your comment. Deleting a comment will allow you to re-do the process for a short time, but then it’s totally gone already. (You will no longer get a dialogue confirmation, which means it will not appear.)
This Is What Happens When You Remove A Comment On Instagram
When you remove a comment on Instagram, it easily goes away.
Nobody gets a pop-up message, so if you have a spam comment on any of your posts, the only way that the person will find out it’s not there again is if they go back and search for it.
And you cannot undelete a comment on Instagram; that’s why you have to be very careful before taking the step of removing a comment on Instagram because once you click on the trash button, you have deleted the comment completely.
Comments are one of the best things on Instagram, and they are also the most annoying if you get so much spam. Well, Instagram has rolled out the capacity to turn off commenting, restrict some set users, and automatically stop offensive/abusive comments.
These attributes will make your job simpler, and if rude or abusive comments slip through the cracks, you can remove them immediately with an easy swipe and clicks.
And you can remove other people’s comments on Instagram as well you can delete other people’s comments on Instagram, but only if it is made on your own post.
If you find an offensive or abusive comment on anybody’s post, the best thing you can do is to mark that particular comment as spam by swiping left, clicking on an icon, and then also click the Report this comment.
How Do I Remove A Comment On Instagram From My Computer
This social media or internet may be forever, but when you write a comment with a typographical error or one that you did not mean to post for another reason, it doesn’t have to stay there if you do not want it.
There is an advantage On Instagram, you can go back to delete that comment you do not want, but it as limit to what you can control or do.
For instance, removing anyone’s comment on one of your posts (spammer beware), but your own comment can be deleted on another person’s post.
- First and foremost, go to Instagram.com, then log in your details if necessary, and find the actual post with the erring comment you want to remove.
- Then, you select the post, then hover your cursor over the particular comment you want to remove (at the right corner of the comment, you should see three dots that appear).
- Finally, tap those three dots and select ‘delete.’
You can also remove a comment on Instagram in a web browser.
Here is how to;
If you are using a web browser rather than the usual Instagram mobile app, you can also remove unwanted comments with a few clicks.
- Just open Instagram on the web browser and look for the exact post with the comment you want to remove.
- Tap the post to allow it to pop up in a window with every other comment.
- Hover your mouse pointer over the particular comment you want to remove, and after that, click on the three dots on the right side of the comment.
- In the pop-up window, select delete to remove the comment permanently.
Notwithstanding, to avoid friends/viewers from creating abusive or inappropriate comments when live videos are going on, some users may want to handicap comments on Instagram live.
Well, doing so is also easy. Let’s look at hiding the comment because you can’t remove comments totally except you end the live stream, a person’s comment cannot be wiped either, though is it possible to block select users from commenting.
Once you have turned off the comment section, every comment will not show again. Well, if you decide to turn them on back later, all comments posted before will show in their full glory.
It would be awesome if Instagram would add the capacity to hide comments on live feed one more time, at least while we all are in this social distancing time.
A lot of people are making an effort to get content and share lives, but we cannot see people doing their thing through the comment.
Whenever a celebrity type does an Instagram live video, the comments are hidden under the covers, cringe-inducing. Really bad, almost as bad as questions from the audience at a film festival question and answer.
Here is how to hide comment on IG live
Once you have begun your live video, take note of these instructions to turn off comments you do not want.
- Firstly, after you must have opened Instagram and logged into your account, select in the upper left corner on the camera button.
- Look beneath the screen, swipe, and see the camera options (Normal, Create, Boomerang, etc.) until you find the “Live” option. Make ensure that the Live option is at the center under the circular capture icon.
- Select the circular capture icon to start your live video.
- At the down part of your screen, select the three-line dots located next to the comment field.
- Select ‘Turning off Comment” to turn off commenting.
At this moment, anybody that views your Instagram live video won’t be able to send comments, and you will not be able to view or see any comments that have already been sent as well.
You can turn later on the comments back by following step four again and clicking “Turn on Commenting.” Once you have turned comments back on, you can now be able to see comments from before you turned off commenting as well.
How to Edit Comments on Instagram
Are you sad about one of your own comments on Instagram?
Unfortunately, there’s no easy way to do that.
If you want to edit any of your comments on Instagram, the simplest solution is to remove the comment totally and add a new, edited comment in its place. I will explain more on deleting comments in detail below:
If you wish to edit another area of your Instagram post, such as your caption, that is partially easy to do. It would be best if you did the editing of your Instagram caption from your phone, not your computer.
Here’s how to go about the editing of a caption, which shows up as your first comment, on your Instagram post:
- First and foremost, open Instagram on your device and navigate to the particular post that you want to edit.
- Click on the three dots in the upper-right corner of the post you want to edit
- Click on Edit.
- Then you edit your caption using the on-screen keypad.
- After you must have done that, click on Done.
How to Hide Comments on Instagram
Let us assume you share a contentious Instagram post that is bombarded instantly by more than hundreds of negative comments.
You could just remove the offensive or abusive comments if you don’t want them there, but you can as well save yourself some trouble by easily hiding offensive/abusive comments or turning off comments altogether.
Here is how to hide offensive or abusive comments on Instagram:
- Open Instagram on your device, then go to your Instagram profile and click on the three horizontal lines.
- Click on the Settings.
- Click on Privacy.
- Click on the Comments.
- Then, Toggle on and “Hide Offensive Comments.”
You can also click on “Manual Filter.” This will allow you to select specific words that will trigger Instagram to hide a comment.
In addition, in this article, to block comments from some people. This is different from blocking an account completely, as they can still view your post. The comments they leave on your post will only be seen by them.
How Can You Comment Privately On Instagram?
Comments on Instagram are never really private. If you comment on someone”s post with a private account, all their followers would still be able to read it. If you want to leave someone a private comment, it is preferable you leave it as a message.
Here is how to do it:
- Firstly, open Instagram on your device; go to the Instagram post you want to comment on.
- Click on the message button (it appears in the form of a paper airplane).
- In the search button, type the name of the particular account that created the post.
- After that, when the account name appears, click on the circle next to it so that a checkmark will show.
- Click on your message in the space provided.
- Lastly, click the send button.
You can decide to do this at any time during a live broadcast, and once you are done, all your viewers will no longer be able to comment during the Livestream.