It can be really discouraging and frustrating when you have tagging problems while using Instagram, especially when you have no idea what is causing the problem or even how to go about solving the issue.
Still, you do not have to be worried. If you also have no idea how to tag someone or how the feature works, this article is also for you.
This article would explain in detail how you can go about tagging people on Instagram and how you can also fix any tagging issues you might come across.
Instagram is a really incredible platform that would allow you to share as many pictures as you want with both your family and your friends.
This really helps to create a wonderful sense of excitement and bonding as everyone is able to share their holiday pictures and other important posts.
The app has become a very crucial part of our everyday lives, where people can easily share what they experience or basically anything they feel is worth sharing with the general public.
Instagram evolved over time to become better and better. A lot of features that help with sharing fun posts have been layered on gradually over time.
Instagram gives people opportunities to tag other accounts on their posts, but these situations can easily escalate into a very frustrating one if you start to experience tagging problems on Instagram.
The bugs that affect Instagram at times are very annoying, especially when you are just trying to boost your account or gain more followers.
This is why you must know how to fix minor Instagram issues if your main aim on the app is to make money or even grow a business. It is also advisable for you to have this knowledge if the bulk of your friends are on the platform.
So now the question is, how can you tag someone on Instagram and fix the tagging problem that arises when you use the feature? To answer this question, we would have to go into the nitty-gritty of the whole tagging concept. We would have to delve into questions like:
- How can you tag an account on an Instagram Story?
- How can you tag an account on an Instagram Post?
- How to solve an Instagram tagging problem?
- How to know who can see your tagged photo or video on Instagram?
- How to know who can tag you in their photos or video on Instagram?
- How you can stop people from tagging you in their posts?
How can you Tag an Account on an Instagram Story?
Instagram launched the story feature some time ago in August 2016. The feature lets users share photos and videos for twenty-four hours.
The function of an Instagram story is to lets you share every bit of your day, not just the ones you want to keep on your profile, the feature enables you to share multiple photos and videos, and they are presented together in a slide show format.
It is a carefree environment where users can post without being worried that their posts would not blend with a particular theme or layout. It was a very fun feature that gave users more room for interaction and interesting responses.
The function of an Instagram story is to lets you share every bit of your day, not just the ones you want to keep on your profile, the feature enables you to share multiple photos and videos, and they are presented together in a slide show format. Instagram added the functionality of stickers to the stories, and tagging stickers was also one of them.
To tag an account on your Instagram Story, you have to:
- Open your Instagram app, then click on your story.
- Then take a picture or upload a photo and click on the sticker icon at the top of your screen.
- You can click on the @mention icon and then enter the username of the account you want to tag.
- Then you can edit, move, resize or change the colour of your tag.
- Then you can click on Send to, then share the story with all of your Instagram followers, or you can decide to share with just your close friends.
- When you tap on the sticker, the colour will change immediately.
- If you have any intention of making the sticker larger or tinier, you would have to move your forefinger and a thumb in a sort of pinching motion in order to make it tinier and then move your finger in the complete opposite direction to make the sticker larger.
- If you want to move the sticker, you should definitely click on the sticker and drag it without releasing your finger.
How you can Tag an Account on Instagram after Posting
The only way to tag someone after posting on your story is if you tag them as a business partner. If you want to do this, they would have to activate this option on their Instagram setting.
If they have activated the option, then you can actually go to the story you have already published, then click on the three-dot icon. Then you can check for tag a business partner and then search for the username.
Once you have been able to tag them, it would appear just above the Instagram story right under your name.
If you do not use the above method, then it would actually be impossible to make any edits to an Instagram story once you have published it. This also covers tagging someone in your story after it has been posted.
Instagram stories were made with the idea of quick and temporary posting mechanisms. So, there was probably no need to make stories editable.
There are only two solutions to this type of problem. You could either decide to delete your post completely then make a new post where you would have tagged the account from the start, or if it was already really late before you realized the error, you could just leave the post and repost again at another time.
How can you Tag an Account on an Instagram Post?
The process of tagging another account on your normal post is actually very easy. The whole point of tagging other accounts on your post is to ensure that they do not miss your uploads.
It could also serve as a means of identifying the individuals in the post that you want to publish or identifying the brands or businesses that own products in your post.
If you want to tag an account in your post, you have to:
- Open your Instagram.
- Then create a new post.
- You can then choose a picture to post, then click on Next.
- Then click on Tag People and then enter the username of the account.
- Ensure that the username you enter for the account is the correct one, and it must be the username, not just their name on Instagram.
- You can decide to repeat the action to tag as many people as you want in your post.
- You can click on share, and that is all.
Why can I not Tag an Account on Instagram?
If you are having issues with tagging an account on Instagram, it could be as a result of some of these problems:
- You misspelled the username.
- You forgot to use the @ before typing the username.
- You have been blocked by the person you want to tag.
- The account of the person you want to tag has been deleted.
- The account of the person you want to tag has been deactivated.
- You are not following the account you want to tag, and it is a private account.
There are times that you would run into a hitch when you are using Instagram due to different and various reasons. It could get very frustrating if you are not familiar with the methods you can use to solve the problems you are faced with.
You might want to tag an account on Instagram, and you would run into difficulties trying to carry out your operation. You do not need to fret because here are some solutions you could quickly use to troubleshoot your problems:
- You can try to tag an account using text on your story: It is actually very possible to tag accounts using just written text on your Instagram story. If you have tried the previous method of tagging on your story and it is not working, then you can definitely try this. When you want to upload a photo on your Instagram story, you can simply click on the “A” icon to write out your text. You can be able to tag someone by using the @ symbol before writing their username. For instance, “@thefoodlord” is a perfect example of how you can tag an account using just text.
- Ensure you check the spelling of the username you are trying to tag very well. You must be extremely cautious of username mistakes when you are trying to tag accounts in your posts. This is because sometimes the tag might even work, but you would end up tagging someone else with that username and not your intended account. There are also times users would end up entering an account’s name instead of the actual username when they plan on tagging an account on Instagram. You must always ensure you are entering the correct and full username of your account of choice.
- You must learn to take your time when you are experiencing difficulties in tagging accounts on Instagram. If you have issues with the tag feature and nothing seems to be working, you might just need to exercise a little bit of patience rather than getting angsty and anxious. The fortunate thing is that unlike some specific features on Instagram, there is actually no time limit to when you can edit the caption on your post, or the location you set on your post and even the people you want to tag or untag. If you are having trouble with tagging a specific account on your post, you do not have to give up on making that entire post. You can still make your post and schedule how you would tag the accounts you have interest in later on. You can share the picture or video you want, then probably restart your phone and wait for a minute or two. Then you can come back into the app to tag any user you wish to tag on Instagram. If you finally want to edit your post to try out the tagging feature again, you have to click on the three dots in the top right corner of the picture. Then you can click edit and then click on the icon that is the form of a person on the photo to edit the tags.
- You can also decide to report this problem if it still persists. In most cases, once you have tried any of the above solutions, you would have definitely gotten your problem solved. But on the rare occasion that these suggestions do not solve your problem, it is perfectly okay to report the problem to Instagram. This solution is also advisable because sometimes the problem is not from you or your method of tagging at all. Instead, the problem is from the Instagram app itself. Suppose the problem is actually coming from the app. In that case, the only way you would be able to find a solution to the problem is if you report the problem to Instagram because this way, they would be alerted that the app has some internal issues. Instagram usually has a really fast response rate to complaints about the user app experience. So you can be assured you would get a timely answer the moment you report the problem.
- You should try and find out what settings the owner of the account has put up. There are some settings that some accounts would have that would make tagging them literally impossible. For instance, if an account has been set to private and you are not following them, it would be impossible to just tag such as account as you please. So, in this case, the sensible thing to do would be to try and follow such an account before you try to tag the account. There are also account users that actually set up their profiles in such a way that no one can tag them. So anytime you are having issues with tagging accounts, you have to keep in mind that it might just be a pesky setting issue on the account holder’s side.
- A basic rule for when you would have to interact with a particular account is that you should follow that profile. No, it is not compulsory, but it definitely makes things easier and solves a lot of unforeseen issues. There are some activities you might not be able to carry out on Instagram, especially if the account is private and you are not following such an account. So if you are having issues tagging an account, it is advisable that you ensure you are following the account then you can try tagging the account again.
- There is also a possibility that the problem you are facing might be a general one and not just peculiar to you. There are times that the Instagram app would be experiencing bugs, and this would make literally every Instagram user face the same issue while using the app. The moment you realize the problem you are facing in general, you have to acknowledge the fact that you would just have to wait and have patience till Instagram solves the issue altogether. The moment the problem is fixed, you would be able to continue using the features as usual.
Who can View your Tagged Photos or Videos on Instagram?
As always, anytime someone is tagged in a post, he or she would immediately get a notification that they have been tagged in that particular post.
If your account is public, everyone would be able to see the post and all the other users that were also tagged in that post.
On the other hand, once your Instagram account is a private one, the only people that would have access to viewing your tags and even your posts are people that are actually following you. The only way an account you tag would get a notification is if they are following you.
Who has the Ability to Tag you in Photos or Videos on Instagram?
Literally, anyone can tag you on Instagram unless you have blocked such a person. All Instagram users can tag you, but you can decide to put up settings that would allow you to decide if you want to be tagged or not.
Why are Tags Important on Instagram?
The moment you are able to tag individual accounts or business profiles on your Instagram, it would really help to widen how far your brand can reach on the Instagram platform.
You do not even have to own an actual brand or business before you can use the tag feature on Instagram. You can also use it to build your personal social media profile by gaining more followers.
In the same way, hashtags help you gain more reach, and a bigger audience tagging people with the account username would also help you gain a larger audience.
How can you Stop other Accounts from Tagging you on Instagram?
- You have to go to your profile and then click on the icon directly under your bio that looks like a tiny person inside a frame. You would be able to see photos that you are tagged in.
- Click on the top-right ellipsis right next to Photos of You, and then you can go to your “Tagging Options.” In this place, you would get to see a whole lot of options. You can decide to either allow your tagged photos to be added automatically to your profile page or manually. Each of those choices has its own advantage and disadvantage, so it is basically a matter of choice and preference.
- You should click on the “Add Manually” option if you do not want tagged photos to be added to your page automatically. This will allow you to decide if you want to add the picture or hide it from your Instagram profile. It would also let you know when you have been tagged in a new photo, and this would allow you to remove yourself from the post as fast as possible.