A lot of Instagram users don’t bother to know their Instagram URL nor how to find it, but if you’re running a business, you’ll definitely need it and that’s when your search begins to locate your Instagram URL and share it on other social platforms and online sources that will attract visitors to your Instagram profile.
Your Instagram URL is your personal identity if you’re running a personal account, and if you’re running a business, it’s your brand’s identity.
You’ll definitely need your Instagram profile URL for various purposes, you can use it to provide more information on your business or you can use it as your business page so that visitors can always turn to your page if they have some queries.
The main idea behind finding your URL is sharing your profile, every other reason is secondary. For instance, if you’re using third-party apps to manage your Instagram accounts, they’ll require that you input your Instagram URL in order to get access to the content of your account and other activities.
Most Instagram users are using the app to log in to their IG account and it’s sometimes not possible to view your Instagram URL directly using the app, it’s still possible to locate it with the app. Using the browser is easier to trace your Instagram URL since every page you land on Instagram, you can view the URL in the address bar.
If you’re looking for how to find your Instagram URL, we’ll show you how to find it in this post, not only that, we’ll also show you how to locate other URLs in your account.
What is my Instagram URL
This is the URL of your Instagram profile and if you don’t know what URL is, it’s the acronym for “Universal Resource Locate”. In other words, a URL is a path to locate different online resources. Instagram URL is similar to a normal website URL.
Your Instagram URL should look something like “Instagram.com/username”. Even other social media platforms follow the same pattern, that’s adding a username after the main domain of the website.
How To Find Your Instagram URL Using A PC
In order to locate your URL using a PC, you need to log in to your account with a browser. Here are the steps;
- Visit “Instagram.com” using your favorite browser on your PC.
- Log in to your Instagram account using your username and password.
- You’ll notice the profile tab which is at the bottom right corner of your PC screen.
- When this page opens, you should highlight the URL address in your browser “Address bar”.
- Highlight all the URLs and copy, press Ctrl + A to highlight and Ctrl + C to copy the address bar. You can also right-click from your mouse cursor to copy.
- Open any of your text editor like Notepad and paste what you’ve just copied by using Ctrl +V. All commands mentioned are for Windows users.
- The URL you just pasted is now your Instagram URL or in other words your Instagram Profile page URL. You can share this link whenever the need arises.
How To Find Instagram URL With Mobile Or Smartphone
- Launch the Instagram app on your phone and log in with your credentials.
- Visit your profile page by tapping on the profile which is on the bottom right corner of your menu bar.
- You’ll notice the username of your account which is displayed at the top, take note of this username.
- You now go to any of your text editors and add the username at the end of the Instagram domain. It should look something like “Instagram.com/username”, you just need to replace the “username” with your real Instagram username you copied.
This is how easy it is for finding your Instagram URL on both PC and Mobile phones. We’ll now take a look at other important aspects of Instagram URLs like changing the URL and so on.
Changing Your Instagram URL
It can happen that you want to change the URL of your Instagram profile, one of the reasons why you want to do that is after changing your profile from a regular profile to a business profile. In this case, you may want to have the name of your business displayed on the Instagram profile URL.
You might also want to make your URL very short to make it easier to remember and so on.
Whatever your reason is for changing the Instagram URL, you can change it, you cannot however change it directly. If you want to change your Instagram Profile URL, you need to change your Instagram username. After changing your username, the profile URL will automatically change to the new username.
Before you proceed to change your Instagram URL, you should know that the previous URL becomes invalid. You have to visit all sources you shared the URL and change it to the new one, here are the steps to change your Instagram username which will also change your Instagram URL as well;
- Log in to your Instagram account either with your phone or PC.
- Click on the profile photo displayed on the screen that will take you to the profile page if you’re on your phone and you’ll see the option “Edit Profile” which is under your bio.
- If you’re on PC you should click the settings icon that’s at the top left corner which will open the menu and you’ll see the option to edit profile, you need to click on that.
- Once you click “Edit profile” on your device you can see the option to edit your username and clicking on that will allow you to add the new username you want.
- Make sure to make it short and also don’t add characters, just alphabets that make it easier to remember.
- You should save your changes and proceed with sharing your Instagram profile link.
How To Find Someone’s Instagram Profile URL
Are you looking for the Instagram profile URL of another user? For whatever reason you want it, you can always locate the profile URLs of other users on Instagram. Here are the steps;
- You should click the target’s profile by clicking on their username which you can find on various posts and comments.
- Tap the “Three dots icon” at the top right corner of your screen to launch the pop-up menu.
- You’ll be presented with some options including “Copy profile URL”, you should tap on that to copy the Instagram Profile URL of the user.
- You then paste the copied URL into any text editor or your browser to view their Instagram profile URL.
How To Find Post URLs On Instagram
If you want to share your posts, you can do that. Instagram encourages that, and if you’ve noticed, some users have been sharing their social media posts including Facebook on their website. If you can grab the post URL, you can do that as well.
Instagram provides the share button which is under each post. Though Instagram wants you to share posts, they want you to share them on the platform using the share button. Still, there is a way to grab the post URL and share it anywhere you want. Here the steps;
- Log in to your Instagram and open the post you want to grab the URL for.
- Tap the “Three dot” at the top right of your screen which is above the post.
- A new pop-up menu will show up with options.
- Tap the “Share to…”
- You’ll be presented with different platforms to share the content, either on social media or send messages.
- You should now tap “Copy to Clipboard” to add the URL to your clipboard.
- You can now paste or share the copied link anywhere online provided Instagram links are allowed.
That’s it on grabbing Instagram profile links and sharing them. You should however know that you cannot grab the Instagram profile links on private accounts or posts from private accounts. You have to follow them first and they must approve your follow request before you can even see their profile and be able to obtain the profile link. Sharing Instagram profile URLs and posts doesn’t work on other sources because their content is only viewed by their followers. It makes no sense to get the Instagram profile URL or posts of private accounts and share it on other social media platforms.
Instagram Profile URL FAQS
Let’s now answer some of the frequent questions asked by users regarding Instagram URLs;
What Is The Instagram User ID
It’s the ID that’s associated with an Instagram account, every user has his unique ID.
Can I add URL inside Instagram posts?
You can add URLs in Instagram posts but they won’t be clickable, you’re able to add a link to your post captions and will remain unclickable. But from what we’ve learned you can add a clickable link to your profile page and if you want you can add external links to your bio that will be clickable as well.
Can I add URL to my Instagram Stories?
Yes, you can add URLs in your stories but there are conditions though, your Instagram account must have at least 10,000 followers and you have to be running a verified account. If these conditions are met, you’ll be able to add URLs that are supported on the platform.
Once you find that your links on Instagram are blocked, it means the link is not allowed. Instagram has blocked certain links in order to protect its community. Let’s take a look at the links not allowed on Instagram;
- Any website link that’s believed to be operated by spammers or when they believe your profile isn’t genuine, they’ll block adding links on such profiles in the bio.
- Websites with explicit content: URL with explicit content won’t be allowed on the platform.
- The same URL appears on multiple profiles or posts in a short time: Even if you opened new accounts, but you ended up adding the website or URL in your bio or posts and that too within a very short period of time, like within some days, you’ll be blocked and the accounts will be flagged. In some cases, you can lose all the accounts by suspension or termination.
- Shortened URLs aren’t supported: URL shortening services like bit.ly won’t be allowed. This is because spammers use these services to hide malicious websites and end up directing users to steal their personal or financial information.
- Domain names that look like Instagram domain: Some users will go to the extent of impersonating the giant social network thereby creating domain names with “Instagram” within the domain extension or a variation of it to mislead users.
- Snapchat or telegram links aren’t allowed: Previously, Instagram support sharing links for these platforms, but later they block them in a bid to discourage users from promoting these two platforms. They’re their competition you know! If you’re sharing follow links from Snapchat or Telegram, you’ll be blocked whether in the bio or in posts.
- Etsy links not allowed: Yes, Instagram doesn’t want you to sell using Etsy links, and the moment you paste the Etsy link, you’ll receive a message that looks like “URL not allowed”.
Once you realize that your URL is blocked, you want to check the URL and see if it’s among the list of URLs that are blocked on Instagram.
Even if it’s not included in the list of URLs that aren’t supported, you might want to check the content of the URL because Instagram will scan through the content and will block it if they believe there is content harmful to their users. Also, make sure you haven’t used the URL a lot in posts, other profile pages, or in the comments.
That’s it about Instagram profile URLs, it’s not a big deal to grab the URL of any profile or the URLs of any post on Instagram provided it’s a public account, and if it’s a private account, you have to follow them before you’re able to view their content or grab the profile link or URL.